Dear Parents and Guardians,
We are thrilled to announce that even though in-person programs at our schools will not be held this summer due to safety concerns surrounding COVID-19, we will still be able to offer a REMOTE SUMMER CAMP that is fun and engaging.
Welcome to Fairmount Fun in the Sun – the Home Edition! This program will offer students a variety of hands-on enrichment activities, lots of physical activity, and reading and math activities intended to help curb summer learning loss. This program offers a great mix of learning and fun that your child won’t want to miss!
How it Works: Students will receive a box of camp supplies for each week they are enrolled. They will use google classroom and zoom meetings to connect with counselors, teachers, other campers, and the activity materials.
- Buddy Groups – Each camper will be assigned to a Buddy Group led by one of our camp counselors! Buddy Groups meet on zoom for about an hour each day to check-in, socialize, go over their independent activities, and to read together.
- 1-on-1 math and language arts tutoring – Each camper will have a weekly appointment with a certified teacher on zoom to do math and language arts activities that will help keep them on track for the start of school in the fall. On days you do not have your tutoring appointment, you will complete math and language arts tasks independently from google classroom. Camp counselors may be available for additional 1-on-1 support over zoom if needed.
- Reading – You will get a reading “passport” to track your reading minutes each day, and enter to win prizes at the end of camp. You will read 20 minutes with your Buddy Group and 20 minutes independently each day.
- Themed activities and physical activity – Camp counselors will be producing fun activity prompts and video lessons to share with campers. You will work on these independently each day and document them in your journal. You’ll talk about how they went the next day in your Buddy Group. Each week’s theme is listed below!
Registration: Only students intending to come to Fairmount School in the Fall of 2020 are permitted to register. Space is limited! Spots will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Please enroll online at Fairmount Fun in the Sun Home Edition 2020 Online Registration
Weeks in Session:
July 6 – 10
July 13 – 17
July 20 – 24
July 27 – 31
*Students are signed up for a week at a time. Due to the nature of this program, we expect your child to be engaged and participating each day. If your child is absent from online communication with staff two or more days in a single week without reasonable cause, his/her spot will be filled by a child from the waiting list for the remainder of the summer program.
Registration Due Dates: Students need to be registered by June 19th in order to participate.
Fee: There is no fee, but donations are encouraged. You can make a donation online, or you can make a check payable to “Bangor School Department” with “Fairmount 21CCLC” in the memo section, and mail it to Bangor School Department Business Office, 73 Harlow Street, Bangor, ME 04401.
Eligibility: This program is open to all children attending Fairmount School during the 2020-2021 academic year.
Camp Locations: This program is conducted remotely. Students will connect online from their own homes.
Camp Hours: Buddy Groups meet daily 9:00 am – 10:00 am. Tutoring appointments will be scheduled individually and repeat at the same time each week. The rest of the work is done on your own time. We expect campers to spend about 3 hours engaged in camp each day (a combination of their zoom meetings and independent work.)
Lunch: We encourage families to access summer meal sites throughout the city. For your convenience, meal site information is attached.
Behavior: Campers are expected to conduct themselves appropriately. If something is not okay at school, it is not okay in camp zoom meetings. Specifically campers should:
- Be properly dressed
- Sit upright and pay attention
- Leave distractions out of reach
- Use appropriate language
- Make sure that decorations, objects, and other people in their space are all school-appropriate
- Show kindness and respect at all times
- Follow directions and requests from staff
Students who fail to adhere to our behavior standards may be removed from the program. Staff can mute or remove a camper from a zoom meeting at any time without warning to block inappropriate content from other campers.
|July 6 – 10||Community Week|
|July 13 – 17||Nature Week|
|July 20 – 24||Cooking Week|
|July 27 – 31||Science in the Summer
with the Maine Discovery Museum